When podcasts first became a “thing,” I had no interest. I recall seeing them in the iTunes store when updating my pink iPod mini. In a time when technology was advancing from cassette tapes to MP3 players and videotapes to DVDs, podcasts seemed obsolete. Now, probably a decade later, podcasts are all the rage though with more than 60 million households in the U.S. tuning in (Nielson).
There’s plenty of reasons I’ve grown to enjoy listening to podcasts:
- I can listen on the go – whether cooking dinner, brushing my teeth, or taking the bus, there’s no screen to look at or pages to turn
- The topics vary from hard news, to funny talk shows, to learning on professional development topics
- Different shows are different lengths – from 15 minutes to two hours, it’s easy to listen in the time you have
Below are my favorite podcasts to tune into.
- Skimm’d from The Couch: Brought to you by the founders of the daily newsletter you know and love, Carly and Danielle talk to powerful females such as Hoda Kotb, Savannah Guthrie, and Libby Leist, Joanna Coles, Sallie Krawcheck, Whitney Wolfe Herd, and more.
- Betches Media: The gals behind hilarious Instagram accounts with your favorite memes actually have several podcasts: Betch Slapped (light and fun), Diet Starts Tomorrow (real, raw and inspirational), and the Sup Podcast (the news, explained) are my favorites. Here’s a better description of their podcasts, direct from their site: “For those times that reading is just too hard, you can listen to [the Betches] sage wisdom on your phone. Listen to our founders talk sh*t about everything from try hard vacation Instagrams to the latest train wreck on reality TV…Listen to us troll politicians and keep up with WTF is going on in the world…and get a no-bullsh*t perspective of real women who have experienced all and more.”
- Coffee Break w/ NYWICI: You don’t have to live in New York to enjoy the NY Women in Communication’s career-oriented podcast, featuring casual conversations with compelling women who work within the communications industry. They’ve interviewed motivating women from the New York Times, Thrive Global, Refinery29, Seventeen, Ladies Get Paid, and more.
- Ellevate Podcast: Ellevate is another wonderful podcast worth listening to, to hear from female entrepreneurs, authors, business women, and other inspiring leaders
talk about their experiences and takeaways from their careers.
- The Morning Toast: The also insta-famous Jackie (@jackieoproblems) & Claudia (@girlwithnojob) break down “the fast five stories you need to know before you take a bite of your morning toast” nearly daily on this lighthearted podcast.
- Bloomberg: I really got into Bloomberg’s podcasts with Game Plan (dissecting how we live our lives at work) and Material World (delving into consumable stuff). Though neither are currently recorded, Decrypted is another good one that keeps me listening.
- Yeah, That’s Probably an Ad: The team at Adweek debates “the highs and lows of creativity, advertising, marketing, media and technology.”
Other podcasts that aren’t in my regular rotation, but I’ve listened to periodically and enjoyed include:
What are your podcast recommendations?